Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Just a thought...

Doesn't it seem as if we are taught from childhood to always be "looking ahead"? I mean, when I think about it, most of my life has been spent trying to do just that. Either trying to get ahead, stay ahead of the game, or look ahead to the future. But what does that mean for the very moment at hand? I do not believe it means anything, except to say the moment is gone, poof, history...

When we spend all of our time looking forward, we forget to look behind us. We fail to stretch out an open hand to help someone who has fallen behind. Our forward motion is "busyness" and it creates a horrendous noise at times - a barrier that blocks out the distant cries for help.

I am reminded that I need the quiet presence of God in order to take hold of the gift - the present - today. When I look too far ahead, or worse yet, try and get ahead of God, I realize I only prostitute a little more of my soul. With the exception of my salvation I will leave this world with precisely what I entered it with - nothing.

These are precarious times for the world, and the only thing I am finding that is really worth having is hope...

Thoughts?

No comments: